INTREPID: Battle of the Big Bands
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
Pier 86, W 46th Street and 12th Av, NYC
Saturday, May 26, 2018
8:00pm – 1:00pm
Check-in at the box office starts at 7:15pm for General Admission and at 7:00pm for VIP. The ship opens at 8:00pm.
EARLY CHECK-IN & BOARDING
Arrive between 7:00pm and 8:00pm for early checkin and enjoy live music by the Madhattan Quartet on the pier, explore the new exhibition “A View from the Deep: The Submarine Growler & the Cold War,” and get complimentary non-alcoholic refreshments (while supplies last) before boarding the ship! Then at 8pm the Intrepid opens, and you can quickly board the ship from the pier!
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum and Prohibition Productions proudly present our third annual epic battle of the big bands and swing dance on the flight deck of the historic aircraft carrier Intrepid. May 26th is also International Lindy Hop Day – Frankie Manning’s birthday!!
This highly anticipated one-night-only annual special event is also an official part of Fleet Week 2018 and sells out every year! We celebrate the music, dancing, and style of the Swing Era featuring three of NYC’s best big bands playing on the flightdeck on a giant fifty foot stage; plus a barbershop quartet, 1940’s-style photo booth, a vintage fashion contest, swing dance performances, dance contests, free beginner swing dance lessons, our lovely pinup gals, vendors on the front of the flight deck, and you’ll find even more live music & dancing below deck when you explore the museum!
The spectacular lineup has over 80 performers, with live music and dancing all night, plus a 3,200 square foot wood dance floor on the flight deck (60% larger then last year) and 1,000sq ft wood dance floor on the hanger deck. ‘Follow the Fleet’ with Navy-inspired outfits… vintage clothes and dance shoes are encouraged. The two years not only completely sold out, but were considered the best events of the year!
live music by:
* Artie Shaw Orchestra (17 piece)
* Eyal Vilner Big Band (17 piece), with guest vocalist Brianna Thomas
* George Gee Swing Orchestra (17 piece), with guest vocalist John Dokes
Each band plays a one hour set on our massive 50ft stage, and the last set features all three big bands on the same stage, battling it out — culminating in them playing all together!
live music by:
* Queen Esther & The Hot Five (3 sets)
* Madhattan Quartet (barbershop quartet)
* DJ’s VaVa Voon, Lainey Silver, and Odysseus Bailer
* performances by chorus gals The Bathtub Ginnys
* dance performances by our very own INTREPID SWING DANCE BRIGADE (w/choreography by Gaby Cook)
* MCs Velvetina Taylor & radio host Simon Rentner of WBGO Jazz 88.3
* Beginner swing dance lessons by Jaime Shannon & Tony Fraser
* 1940’s style Pinup & Cigarette Gals: incl. Pearls Daily, Trinity Starligiht, Agent Wednesday, Georgie S. – costumes by 26 Stars / Carmela Lane.
* Photo Booth setup w/ 1940’s era airplane
* Best-dressed contest and promenade
* Two Dance Contests: Strictly and Solo Jazz (see below)
* Guided tours of the Intrepid (VIP Ticket holders only)
* Cash bar and snacks available for purchase.
Compete for lindy hop glory on International Lindy Hop Day in one of TWO dance competitions at the Intrepid Battle of the Bands. This year, we are hosting a Lindy Hop strictly, and a *NEW* Solo Jazz competition. Prizes include cash, trophies, and guest performance at Midsummer Night Swing! (details coming soon)
BAR & FOOD
Rose, Prosecco, White Wine, Red Wine, Cider, and beer will be available for tastings on the flight deck and hanger deck with drink tickets that can purchased for $7ea / cards only. Snacks & water will also be available for purchase at a concession stand on flight deck.
there will be a coat/bag check on hanger deck, and is $4 per person (can be multiple items). Please no dancer piles as security needs to keep floors clear and will require large bags to be checked.